[AT] tractor hauling truck

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 22:02:06 PST 2020

This reminds me of an early 1970's Chevy Vega I once picked up as a "spare"
car. It had more miles than care when I bought it. It was an aluminum block
with the cylinders etched to leave a layer of silicon as a hard wear layer.
"It ran..." It was an early attempt to eliminate sleeve liners.  I never
liked the thing at all and didn't keep it very long.
Here is a page that gives some history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_2300_engine

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 6:15 PM Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sprayed liners are far from new.  BMW built motorcycle engines with this
> technology back in the 1980's and riders have been know to put 300,000 and
> more miles on those bikes.  There was a time BMW car engines used a similar
> technology and developed a bad reputation.  It was actually due to high
> sulfur fuel, and for one thing our fuel in the USA now has far lower sulfur
> than back then, and for another thing the whole industry moved to a
> different alloy that is not susceptible.
>
> Does anyone care what percentage of the fasteners are metric?  I've been
> wrenching domestic vehicles that have a mix of SAE and metric ever since we
> tried the metric system in the USA back in the 80's.  It's hardly an issue
> worth mention.
>
> And several car companies in recent years have paid large fines for
> overstating fuel economy.  I'll go out on a limb here and guess that Ford
> has incentive to be very truthful with those numbers.
>

> SO
>
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 10:35 AM James Peck <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Some updates on the 2019 F150 no options pickup I looked at.
>> The Cleveland engine plant has an attached aluminum foundry.​
>> are metric. ​

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA