[AT] OT- Computer help please

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 02:20:33 PST 2020

Hi Phil:

I've got a Dell from about 2009 or so, perhaps a 3000-series (?), running
XP.  At the time it was a workstation-class laptop, capable of running 3D
CAD software.  I don't use it much anymore, but it definitely comes in
handy sometimes.  Nothing important is stored on it.  Hard drive has given
me a few scares over the last several years, but it comes back every time
(on it's own; I have not done anything heroic).  This bootable thumb drive
thing is intriguing because you don't need any hard drive at all with it.
 In your scenario, with the hidden partition, you still need a functional
hard drive.  Plus, there's been enough discussion of Linux here on ATIS
(and elsewhere) that I'm curious.

SO