[AT] Using shipping containers for tractor storage

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Thu Feb 13 21:26:29 PST 2020

Regarding the issue of a container being defined as temporary or
permanent by officialdom, how it's wired for power can also dictate
their decision.  Disclaimer - I'm only speaking from my personal
experience twenty years ago in southern California, so your locale might
be different.

Our county regulations stated if you run an overhead or underground line
directly feeding a shed or other outbuilding, this defined it as a
permanent structure.   I was advised by a car collector friend who had
several containers that the way to circumvent this, to keep temporary
status, was to mount a standard RV power cable connector box to the
outside wall. From there run your feed wires inside to a small subpanel
with breaker(s), and wire as desired.  Then you simply plug an extension
cord/other power source into this connector box.

If power is available close by from a house or other meter, you're
lucky, as Carl said.  But if you need the power company to install a
line of poles, a transformer, and a meter, probably way too costly.
Alternately think about a few solar panels, a few deep cycle batteries,
inverter, mount LED overhead lights, and install a receptacle or two for
cordless tool battery chargers.

- Richard