[AT] Using shipping containers for tractor storage

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Wed Feb 12 20:28:11 PST 2020

Carl,

My son has a 40 foot container he uses as storage/shop space. We have 4 corners with cement blocks stacked at each corner. Base is 16 x 16, and needs to be larger because every year or so it sinks some and we need to re-level. It is about 3 blocks from Galveston Bay, so we have it elevated about 2 feet.
Be careful when trying to level it. Sometimes these containers try to go sideways when on jacks. Have seen jacks slip and come close to removing fingers in the way. I have successfully used 2 “farm jacks” to lift an end up in order to back a trailer under that end of a container.
I have a 20 foot container I got here and hauled to the Tulsa Oklahoma area from Houston area with my EcoDiesel and a car hauler gooseneck. I have door end about 4” above the ground, and the other end about 1 1/2 foot up, because land is not level where it is setting. It is holding stuff until I get my cabin insulated, and then it will store my MF 35D and a few tools or mower.
A few containers are available with doors each end, but they are somewhat rare.
Roof leaks can be an issue. My son has that problem with his 40 foot container. Roof dents can let water stand, and then rust happens and then leaks come. Roof vents can also be leak points. Recommend adding something over the container. A single slope sheet metal with 1 foot overhand on each side would be good. Support could be a 2 x 2 on one side, 2 x 4 in about 2 foot, 2x6 in another 2 foot, and a 2x8 on the other side. There are many other ways to get some slope and another layer. Spray on roof sealants are an option, but generally expensive.

Dennis

Sent from my iPad