[AT] 430V Freeze plug

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sun Feb 2 19:32:20 PST 2020

Hey Steve:   You are dead on.  When I go to the store today I asked for expansion plugs because that’s what will work with their search.

I feel sure that freeze plug is a euphemism based on the fact that they do occasionally get pushed out when a block freezes.  I don’t think anyone knowledgeable will dispute the fact that they were not originally designed for that and they were always access holes for casting.  After enough people used the word, it stuck.    Language is like that:  common usage is not to be maligned when understanding follows misnomers but draws blanks on accurate terminology.

In other words there’s a time to be accurate and a time to communicate accurately.  Expansion plug or casting plug will draw blanks from my circle of gear head friends but freeze plug will draw nods.   Wording accurately and communicating accurately usually coincide but not always.

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone