[AT] 430V Freeze plug

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 2 17:48:01 PST 2020

“Freeze Plugs” because when the block freezes enough, sufficient pressure builds up to push them out, and maybe some of the ice will stick out of the hole. However, if the water froze enough to push the plug out, it’s already frozen in the entire block, and the ice is not going to flow out of hole and relieve any pressure. The ice will actually reseal the hole.

Even if the plug is pushed out, the ice can continue to expand in other areas of the block enough to cause a crack.

Whether a crack occurs, or not, depends on the amount of antifreeze in the mixture and the outside temperature. None will probably cause a crack if it gets cold enough. Not enough will probably just result in the block being filled with a slushy mixture if it gets cold enough.

Carl