[AT] AT OT tractor predecessor animals was How now rusty cow

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 4 08:49:36 PST 2020

I also enjoyed reading this and learning about the ability of tractor predecessor animals to sort items with their mouth.

I had been at Greenfield Village to look at the tractors and we took a horse drawn vehicle ride. The horse stuck its nose into my jacket pocket looking for a carrot. Turns out many people bring carrots for them.

Francis Robinson aka "farmer" Central Indiana USA AT List Member (robinson46176 at gmail.com); <snip> . A cow's mouth and nose is not prehensile enough to sort food well. Sheep, goats and horses etc. are very much so and a horse's mouth is almost as suited to sorting things as an elephant's trunk. Hardware disease is basically unknown in equines. A horse could sort a Necco Wafer out of a stack of quarters and would stand in line to do so...  :-),<SNIP>