[AT] Allis Chalmers ED40 3 point hitch

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 2 10:25:25 PST 2020

Tom, I got your response confirming that the ED40s sold in New Zealand were 3 point hitch.

The first three point hitch tractor, the Ferguson-Brown type A, was manufactured in the UK. I do not know if it was patent protected. By walking away from that joint venture, Harry likely put some of the 3 point hitch into the UK public domain. When he got all the US three point hitch patents for the 9N, that mainly served to keep US based manufacturers from using it gratis. Maybe Ford broke off the joint venture in the US with Ferguson thinking that they would walk away with the intellectual property like David Brown did.

The similar situation is that International was making three point hitch tractors in the UK while IH was making Fast Hitch in the US around the same time.

With the overwhelming dominance of the TE20 in the early fifties in the UK, it made little sense to try and introduce any other hitch system there.

I had a co-worker who travelled to New Zealand to perform a machine tool CNC control upgrade some years ago. He reported favorably.

I was at a performance around 15 years ago that included a  performer who had emigrated from Shetland to New Zealand and said NZ was a migratory pattern destination for them. Well New Zealand has two islands both bigger than Shetland.