[AT] off topic- moving items via shipping containers

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Tue Dec 29 16:25:43 PST 2020

One of the problems with containers is if they are active as part of intermodal shipping, they have to be back at port within a certain period of time(they are owned by the maritime shipper, not the local terrestrial shipper); usually within 21 days. And even then they’re often tied up for 1 to 2 weeks delivering from or delivering to the ocean going vessel.  You’ll have to buy one if you need it longer than that.

Some national carriers also have a “move it yourself“ as do the the moving companies.  They’ll drop off a trailer, deliver it after you pack, pick it up when you’re done. I can’t think of their names off the top my head.

Talk to a local tractor trailer leasing company that is part of nationalease. You can rent a regular van trailer for a month or two, load it up, call them to deliver it for you(they have connections with carriers if they don’t have a carrier subdivision, which most do), and they’ll  pick it up from the destination when you empty it.  No muss, no fuss.

https://www.nationalease.com/

I have used this for long distance tractor deliveries, especially over the Canadian border where I didn’t wanna fool with customs(customs handling is another service they provide). The only problem is finding a local, cooperative, professional local member of nationalease.  Most of these folks make their money leasing 2-300 tractors at a time to big corporations and keeping a huge pile of trailers available for them. A one-off is received very differently among the different members.  Last time I did this it was 450 a month for “roadworthy”(and using quotes on purpose here. (-:  ) 53 foot trailer and 2.50 a loaded mile to take it to the destination.  But that was a while ago.  Customs was a flat fee plus whatever charges and expenses the government(s) levied.   I don’t remember that fee was but it was reasonable.

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone