[AT] Engine oil

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sun Aug 16 21:08:08 PDT 2020

Antique tractor reference:  I store my tractors in a shop building with lots of big metal objects and concrete floors that moderate temperature swings in the shop.  So the tractor engines never get below freezing except a few times a year when it’s so cold I read books instead of driving tractors.  So I use straight 30w.   I just don’t work them in temperatures where a multi weight would be helpful.  Plus it’s convenient since all my smaller engines use straight 30 too.   I use the Rotella 15-40w in my diesel Ford 861

Way off topic:   I was low on oil one day a LONG time ago and my insert style oil spout for oil cans must have been “forever borrowed“ or lost or driven over or whatever.  Can’t remember.     So on the way to the local auto parts to get oil I pulled off at the surplus/junk store for the spout.   So then on to the auto parts store.

When I got there I was met with:  plastic bottles. (-;

I still have that spout on top of one of the small cabinets I use for nuts/bolts/etc.  It remains  unused with its surplus store price tag.  A whole 99 cents.

To tell you how poor i was it or how long ago (or both) this was,  I probably saved a whole dollar buying the spout at the surplus store instead of the auto parts store.   And that whole dollar was worth the extra stop.

In full disclosure, I am not sure if it’s was just my brand (was always a Pennzoil guy) or all the oil brands had been switched out to plastic.  I kept the spout cause I figured i’d need it but the change to plastic came quick and I never bought a can of oil again.

I love handing it to young people and asking them what they think it is for. (-;  I must admit a surprising percentage do know.

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone