[AT] Generator operation

ustonThomas Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 8 14:29:48 PDT 2020

 Spoken like an Engineer.  "It takes one to know one" :-}

    On Saturday, August 8, 2020, 11:46:31 AM CDT, Jim Becker <mr.jebecker at gmail.com> wrote:

 Don't believe everything you see on youtube either.  Right off the top, one
of her tests is to unhook the battery on a running engine.  It is dangerous
and proves nothing that can't be easily tested otherwise.  I warned the
publisher about this before the book was published, but they didn't fix it.
To get the same information: stick a voltmeter on the battery and see what
the reading is not running.  Start the engine and check again.  If the
reading increases, it is charging.  If it remains the same or goes down, it
isn't charging.

The 17 volt reading and sudden change in charging both suggest a sticky
voltage regulator contact inside the regulator.  This is the one normally
closed when the engine is off.  You could try cleaning the contact (kraft
paper of file, no abrasive board or paper).  Make sure the regulator is well
grounded.

One comment on volt meters, the cheap digital meters are susceptible to
electrical noise, which old tractor ignition and charging systems produce
much of.  You can get wrong or random, rapidly changing readings.  You need
to either use a high quality digital meter or an analog.  Cheap analog
meters generally tolerate the noise and work OK.

Jim Becker