[AT] Covid-19

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Tue Aug 4 06:34:21 PDT 2020

It will never really be over. The virus is here and it will be here forever, it will not disappear. Just like small pox, measles, polio, etc., the viruses exist in or environment and will always be here. We say we have eradicated them, but in reality, we have only created vaccines that protect us from them, we have not eradicated them. The same with the flu, it comes back every year, sometimes it changes and the current vaccines don’t protect us, so we have to get a newer vaccine shot.

The issue with COVID is that the planned vaccines will only create anti-bodies to fight the virus. However, studies show that the anti-bodies will only last about three to four months. That would indicate that you would need a booster shot every three to four months. At an anticipated cost of $2,000 per shot, a family of four will have to spend $24,000 to $32,000 a year on shots. Will the insurance companies pay for all this? There have been some people who made it through the virus once, had anti-bodies, and then got the virus again few months later.

A true vaccine is needed in order to put this issue to bed, and hopefully the current strain of the virus doesn’t evolve and change like the current flu strains do. Another issue is that we are fast tracking the vaccines and won’t know the side affects for some time. I would hate to find out that we are all vaccinated and protected against COVID, but then we all develop heart, liver, kidney, or lung issues at a later date.

There are two movies that come to mind in this time. One is “Contagine” (spelling?) that follows a world wide pandemic from start to finish, only in reverse order. The other is “I AM LEGEND” that shows what happens when everybody is vaccinated with a vaccine to protect against cancer, and then the world population experience a side affect that basically turns them into a population that can’t tolerate sunlight and becomes somewhat sub-human.

Our life styles are going to change because of COVID and we are going to have to adapt. Will we have to wear masks for the rest of our lives? Will the hand shake go the way of the dinosaur? Will weddings an other gathering have to be held in certified environmentally controlled facilities? Only time will tell, and I personally don’t think it will be soon. At the beginning COVID was reported to only affecting the old and sick, not the younger population.Then it started to show up in the younger population. Now it’s showing up in children. While the younger population and children may not be affected as bad and aren’t dying by the hundreds, they can still spread the virus. As long as the virus can be spread there will always be someone who contracts it and unfortunately dies.

My wife and I wear masks, and avoid going anywhere unless it is necessary. We still work with the local food pantry, but have changed how we distribute the food. We don’t go to church on Sundays any more. We aren’t boarding up the windows and doors, but we don’t do anything that we don’t really have to do. We aren’t going to take any chances that we don’t have to since the scientific community is still learning more and more about this virus and they don’t have all the answers figured out yet.

Sorry if this is long winded. Stay safe.

Carl