[AT] 2. Re: '51 JD A PROGRESS!!!! (deanvp at att.net) + PROGRESS on the '49 A wheels! (deanvp at att.net) (STEVE ALLEN) (STEVE ALLEN)

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Fri Apr 24 09:21:58 PDT 2020

I used to have to handle methanol so I am providing the following as a public service announcement in case folks on the list want to try this.  Quote from the MSDS is below my comments:

Methanol is a great solution for tire weighting in every way except for the initial mixing.  It’s it’s pure form it’s a dangerous central nervous poison and it’s odorless so you’ll never know until you’re f$&@ed.  If you don’t get enough to kill you; you’ll only go blind.  No respirator we tractor folks generally have around filters it either.  Flammable beyond belief as well.  It’s reaction is exothermic and encourages vaporization so I think you are supposed to add the methanol to the water, not the other way around.

 Once watered down it’s great.   Won’t evaporate out, no longer flammable, spillage on the ground is safe for soil critters and legged critters (unless you form drinkable puddles somehow) and won’t freeze anywhere south of the attic circle if you use 60% by volume, 50% by weight.

I know racers use it cavalierly but most racers are crazy.  Correlation or cause?

Buy it premixed is my advice.

PS:   Used to have to mix potassium hydroxide lye and methanol.   Scary as heck.

PSS. Drinking liquor is actually a treatment.  Ethanol is believed to slow methanol metabolism.   So have a bottle of Jim Beam handy.

Spencer

Inhalation: Methanol is toxic and can very readily form extremely high vapor concentrations at room temperature. Inhalation is the most common route of occupational exposure. At first, methanol causes CNS depression with nausea, headache, vomiting, dizziness and incoordination. A time period with no obvious symptoms follows (typically 8-24 hrs). This latent period is followed by metabolic acidosis and severe visual effects which may include reduced reactivity and/or increased sensitivity to light, blurred, doubl and/or snowy vision, and blindness. Depending on the severity of exposure and the promptness of treatment, survivors may recover completely or may have permanent blindness, vision disturbances and/or nervous system effects.

Sent from my iPhone