[AT] Burn bans

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 19:57:44 PDT 2020

We have burned more brush than usual this year, much of it a side product
of firewood cutting and accumulating saw logs. What we burn is smaller
branches than many folks would be burning because we save fairly small
stuff as heating fuel. Our furnace firebox is quite large and will hold
enough "sticks" to heat for maybe 4 hours when loaded with wood as small as
an inch in diameter as long as they are fairly straight. We don't save a
lot of 1" sticks but do save anything from about 1.5" and up. The furnace
will accept wood up to almost 3' long if stuck in on an angle but about 28"
long is about an ideal average. When it is low on fuel a piece of firewood
12" in diameter and 30" long can be loaded.
I have several brush piles of fence-row brush to burn yet but my fields
there and one of my neighbors fields across the fence are still corn
stubble. I will not burn those piles until those fields are tilled. I have
several brush piles that are semi-permanent and I leave them for wildlife
shelter. I also have several wooded places where I just toss brush into the
edge over a bank and just let it rot in place. Some small stuff like raked
up leaves, small sticks and raked up bark from processing get put in a pile
to compost down. Once started it goes pretty fast.
I should mention that son Scott who mows most of our horse lots and open
areas with a 15' bat-wing is not especially fond of my wildlife shelter
piles but he tolerates them.  :-)
At this point the horse pastures are quite green and most of them still
short. They are about 2 weeks from a big growth spurt.
I have maybe a couple of hundred current or future victims of the Emerald
Ash Borer (EAB) to drop and cut up. I also have a number of overgrown trees
that are a threat to buildings etc. to cut. I dropped a smallish ash tree
that I had planted for shade at one barn and its trunk will yield an 8" x
8" replacement square post for that barn. That barn needs about 8
replacement post installed. I'll have plenty of ash for them. The firewood
stack will do OK but I'll have a lot of small brush to deal with. I
considering a big hole...

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"