[AT] Burn bans

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Thu Apr 23 10:57:33 PDT 2020

I'm not back in WA yet to see if they have a burn ban in place but I would
sincerely doubt it since it still rains so much in the spring.  There are
two reasons for burn bans. One is fire prevention the other is for air
quality. We have burn bans in the winter due to the fireplaces and wood
stoves dumping too much stuff into the heavy air.
 But there is also a strange phenomenon  we also see in WA but more so in
CA.  If there is an usual amount of rain in the winter there are more plants
and grass growing in the Spring.  Then in the summer everything goes dead
and becomes a fire hazard.  Here in AZ this winter we have had more rain
than usual and even this  spring so all the plants and flowers are out in
force. Unfortunately it has set off the worst allergy season in the 14 years
we have been coming down here.  The scary part is the symptoms mimic
Covid-19 at times.   We have had our first infection and death due to
Covid-19 in our small little gated retirement community of 280 homes.
Fortunately no further infections that we know about after 3 weeks.

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ