[AT] OT: non-tractor covid-19 activates

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Sun Apr 19 17:16:39 PDT 2020

Just a quick update on this:

I got the starter clutch two weekends ago and got it on.   Success!   Now the engine turns with the starter.

However I was still getting just weak pops from the exhaust. However, it was not firing against itself and making all sorts of noise like most engines when you have the timing off. Just some weak pops. But in my heart of hearts it really sounded like a timing issue.  However, being a solid-state bike the only way you can screw up timing is to reverse coil wires or have a bad computer.  So I checked and I had the wiring exactly as the manual described.

I had a few few marginal resistance readings on the computer/igniter, so I got a used one off of eBay just to doublecheck. Still no difference. Checked the primary/secondary  resistance of both coils and even put my spark tester on. It all looks good.

I finally decided I had to follow my instincts and I reversed the wiring on the coils.  Runs like an champ.

Lesson: if you ever have a 1989 Kawasaki 454LTD, the manual is dead wrong on coil wiring.  Ancillary lesson: Make a note of the wiring when you disassemble it and don’t just cavalierly say “oh I’m sure the manual has it - I don’t need to mark them”.

Been taking it on ever-longer test runs. It’s runs pretty nice - I’m really pleased.

Spencer

Sent from my iPhone