[AT] Cub Part Identification Question

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 1 13:20:26 PDT 2020

Been working on the Cub for the last 11 - 12 weeks and should have it done in a couple more. When I was taking the tractor apart there were two thin metal strips that were bolted to the axle extension next to the battery box. Both were pretty rusted away and only one of them had a single hole that was still there. I never noticed them before in all the years that I’ve had the Cub, they pretty much blended in with all the rust. The two most rear bolts in the axle extension were pretty rusted away and I had to use bolt extractors to get them out of the axle extension.

The strips are about 1-1/2 inches wide and about 4 - 5 inches long. Both were bolted between one of the floor pan bolts and one of the other bolts that threads into the axle extension (the floor pan bolts secure the floor pan to the axle extension). Essentially they were bolted between the four bolts that thread into the axle extension. I see no purpose for them and don’t plan on making replacements.

I doubt very much if they are/were for attaching any implement since they are so thin. I thought maybe they were for grounding purposes, but that doesn’t make sense since the four bolts all thread into the axle extension, and the grounding of the tractor is from the battery box the the back of the transmission.

Anybody have any idea what they’re for?

Carl