[AT] OT - Tablet computers

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Mon Apr 13 13:08:42 PDT 2020

There are not many choices.

Google has decided that androids are phones and so the tablet offerings have a bit of a not quite there feel. They work, but there are rough edges depending on how the specific manufacturer supports it (Samsung might okay as they have budget). Google wants to push the chrome platform but that is targeted at laptops and low powered desktop and so again as a tablet it can work but might be rough edges.

I've heard good things about the Microsoft surface line, it again is a laptop but reports are it is an okay tablet when you detach the keyboard. Reports all agree though, a lot of the hardware lacks robustness and will break if you look at it wrong. Pay extra for business class and get a good brand.

There are also Linux tablets, but even the enthusiasts admit they are not ready for real use. This might actually change this year, we will see...

Which is why the iPad is the tablet most people with a tablet get. Nothing else is there.

--
  Henry Miller
  hank at millerfarm.com