[AT] Back To Linux Discussion

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Thu Apr 9 14:22:35 PDT 2020

If your home and shop are on different electrical services, it might be
worth the effort to pull fiber to avoid the electrical issues mentioned
by Henry.

I have been looking at monoprice.com for pre made optical cables to run
between my house and garage (about 100').  Currently have 2 Cat 5e
cables running between the buildings, but I am considering moving my "in
house" servers from the basement to the garage to reduce the noise levels.

You might want to consider running at least 2 conduits when you do it,
its not that much more effort.

I ran 1-2", 2-3/4" and 1-1/2" pvc conduits when I buried mine years ago
(it is what I had on hand at the time), and wish I had at least another
2" in place now.  I hate digging ditches, but  will be digging another
one at some point soon.

Howard

On 4/9/20 3:25 PM, Henry Miller wrote:
> If it wasn't such a pain to work with fiber optical cable would be
> better yet, it avoids ground loop problems and other electrical
> problems. Also completely immune to lightning.
>
> I was hoping to do a similar line to my shop in a year (this summer is
> booked just solving humidy problems so my tractors don't rust away),
> but I'm not sure if the virus will affect my bonus which was supposed
> to supply the cash to do this with.
>
> --
>   Henry Miller
>   hank at millerfarm.com
>

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, at 14:00, Mark Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Farmer:
>>
>> As long as your Ethernet cable is < 300 feet you should be fine...get
>> the best cable you can buy, though. Cat7 shielded cable will cost
>> more but will be much more resistant to electrical noise for a
>> lengthy underground run.
>>
>> I don't know how well insulated your farm shop might be, but it's
>> entirely possible, if your "temperature controlled closet" is built
>> correctly, that just letting the computer run all the time through
>> the winter will provide enough heat to keep the distilled water and
>> weed chemicals from freezing. Some experimentation might be needed to
>> get insulation/venting balanced well enough for that. 9 months out of
>> the year it won't be a problem anyway!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Mark J, former Hoosier and lifelong Boilermaker...Purdue Ag Class of 1978
>> Columbia, Missouri
>>

>> On 4/9/2020 1:37 PM, Indiana Robinson wrote:
>>> Another option I have often used in the past is dual booting...
>>> Windows / Linux and just keep everything on the hard drive.
>>> "Somewhere" here I have a fair sized laptop hard drive that I saved
>>> from a laptop that had part of the motherboard fried by lightning
>>> while in my lap (Yes, I did jump about 10') The hard drive was not
>>> harmed so I bought a $10 converter case (came with a USB cord
>>> hard-wired into it) for it so I could use it. I used to use it for
>>> booting Linux like you are doing with a flash-drive. I just keep
>>> some back-up files on it now.
>>> The Linux I was using then was Mandriva but I just couldn't get
>>> "comfortable" with it... I think now it has been abandoned about 10
>>> years.
>>> One kind of amazing thing about Linux is how much complex software
>>> you can run on very simple distributions without all of the bells
>>> and whistles. Puppy Linux was a light one I used to play with a lot.
>>> One good info source is:
>>> https://distrowatch.com/
>>>
>>> OLD TRACTOR NOTE: I'm still trying to pick out one of my old desktop
>>> machines to move to the farm shop in a small temperature controlled
>>> closet so I can keep tractor info on it and get online to look stuff
>>> up. The smart phone screen is just too small for more than something
>>> quick. Son Scott is going to run a 2 1/2" plastic commercial conduit