[AT] Back To Linux Discussion

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:37:20 PDT 2020

Another option I have often used in the past is dual booting... Windows /
Linux and just keep everything on the hard drive.
"Somewhere" here I have a fair sized laptop hard drive that I saved from a
laptop that had part of the motherboard fried by lightning while in my lap
(Yes, I did jump about 10') The hard drive was not harmed so I bought a $10
converter case (came with a USB cord hard-wired into it) for it so I could
use it. I used to use it for booting Linux like you are doing with a
flash-drive. I just keep some back-up files on it now.
The Linux I was using then was Mandriva but I just couldn't get
"comfortable" with it... I think now it has been abandoned about 10 years.
One kind of amazing thing about Linux is how much complex software you can
run on very simple distributions without all of the bells and whistles.
Puppy Linux was a light one I used to play with a lot.
One good info source is:
https://distrowatch.com/

OLD TRACTOR NOTE: I'm still trying to pick out one of my old desktop
machines to move to the farm shop in a small temperature controlled closet
so I can keep tractor info on it and get online to look stuff up. The smart
phone screen is just too small for more than something quick. Son Scott is
going to run a 2 1/2" plastic commercial conduit for me that will hold a
Ethernet cable, a new 1/2" PEX water line and an air line for the basement
wood-shop.
A plastic tote in the bottom of that closet will hold some weed control
chemicals to avoid freezing and a shelf will keep distilled water for
winter use for batteries especially for the golf cart.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com