[AT] [OT] Back to Linux Discussion

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 07:53:02 PDT 2020

Thanks for the inputs, Howard!

You're right, a cable is definitely an option.  In fact, that's where I
started.  At home, my router is on a shelf in a closet on the second floor,
and the only cable I have is 3' long, but that was good enough for a quick
test.  Success. Encouraging, but my home office is way down in the
basement, so my next step was to see what would happen with the Netgear
WiFi adapter I used to use on this machine under XP.  Fail.  Completely
ignored by Linux.  I quickly found somebody on the forums that had made
this exact adapter work, so that seemed encouraging... and down the rabbit
hole I slipped.  I have since determined that a 50' cable will reach from
that closet to my desk, and I'm on my way out to get one.

This is really a grand experiment to figure out a solution to working from
home.  I'm not married to this laptop nor Linux, but they were so close at
hand that it was an obvious place to begin.  I have to keep reminding
myself what the main goal is - to mitigate the annoyances I encountered in
my intial work-from-home experience.

SO