[AT] Kubota M5700 noise

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 10:28:05 PDT 2020

Compression ratio is of the swept volume plus combustion chamber volume divided by the chamber volume.  It looks like you used swept volume divided by chamber volume.

If I ignore the bore, which is just a multiplier on top of everything:

If stroke is S, C is the average height of the combustion chamber, and R is the compression ratio:
R = (S + C)/C
R = S/C + 1
R – 1 = S/C
(R – 1) * C = S
C = S/(R – 1)

C = 92/(23 – 1) = 92/22 = 4.18

A shorter rod increases C by the same amount to the new value C1.  Thus the new compression ratio R1 is:
R1 = S/C1 + 1
R1 = 92/(4.18 + 1) + 1 = 92/5.18 + 1 = 17.75 + 1 = 18.75 call it 18.8

Back to the original problem, it isn’t clear to me that it matters whether the ratio is 18.4 or 18.8.  It seems that is low enough to cause a misfire.  If there isn’t enough compression to get ignition, it seem unlikely the left over fuel from a misfire would cause preignition on the next cycle.  But who knows what all the behavior might be.

I can’t come up with any way to identify a mismatched connecting rod without disassembly.  Once the head is off, it should be easy to find by bringing each piston up to TDC and measuring the height relative to the deck of the block.

Jim Becker