[AT] OT: Take extra care buying on Ebay.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Apr 1 10:18:35 PDT 2020

Guys:
First I hope that everyone is safe at home or wherever you can keep out
of this infection....  The only good I see coming out of this is maybe
we will start buying medicines and equipment from US manufacturers.

I purchased a plasma cutter for a friend to use in payment for some
engineering services he provided..  I bought a Esab PCM-875 plasma
cutter on a cart with extension cord from a seller in Nashville TN.
Seller finally agreed to pay for shipping for a selling price of $800.
When it arrived,  I found it was a 460V 3 phase.  The 3 phase was not a
problem but the 460V is a commercial power used mainly by large
manufacturing facilities.  I filed a dispute with Ebay and I listed the
reason as defective.  The seller disputed the defective reason as he had
sent it out for testing at a welding repair service and supplied the
report.   I tried again, and was advised that the case had been closed
by Ebay but I should file a dispute with Pay Pal.  I filed a not as
described dispute with Paypal.  Of course the seller stated that he
furnished me all the information he had available.  I sent a picture of
the voltage decal on the back and Paypal decided in my favor for $800.
Great!!!!!

Seller's location is a Controlled environment self storage without a
dock.  The shipping charge is $300 or more depending on the shipper.  I
need a signed receipt to get my refund and during this pandemic, the
drivers are signing the receipt.
It looks like I am back to trying to sell it.   A used 460V plasma
cutter would be hard to sell to anyone with 460V power.  A facility this
large would just buy new.

Hey Steve O....   Is your company interested???

Cecil out in the country in OKlahoma