[AT] OT: non-tractor covid-19 activates

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 04:56:00 PDT 2020

Not surprised about the compression, Spencer.   Japanese bikes are built
more or less like Toyotas and Hondas (go figure)... they just last and
last.  I see you're tooling up, and wanted to mention THE go-to source for
motorcycle-specific special service tools, Motion Pro:
https://www.motionpro.com

So, speaking of Japanese.... at work, one of the many things I do is manage
and grow our CNC capabilities.  We are small, funds are tight, and we
aren't a job-shop so I can't just finance a sweet new piece of equipment
and pay for it by selling parts to others.  We build parts for our own
internal needs, so I pick and choose parts we currently purchase from
others, figure out what we can save doing it inhouse, and use the projected
savings to fund the acquisition of used CNC equipment.  Once I locate a
suitable machine and coordinate shipping and rigging, it lands on the
factory floor, I next get it all set up, leveled, aligned, and powered,
then on to figuring out what's wrong.  Bear in mind we're talking say
$15,000 for a machine that was $200K new in 1997, so they have some miles
on them.  I do all the necessary refurbish, largely myself, but I also know
a great independent CNC repair tech for stuff that is beyond me.  Then I do
all the programming, tooling, debug, and finally write detailed "cookbook"
setup instructions so I can hand-off to the shop floor guys for daily
operation.  Sorry, I'm rambling a bit... my main point was that these CNC
machines are Japanese, and ~25 years later, they will still happily run
10,000rpm on the main spindle, and still hold tolerances in the +/-0.0001"
range.  I like older Japanese stuff.  Back to your Kawasaki, we've got two
vintage bikes:  my wife has a '76 Honda CB-200 and I've got a '75 Yamaha
DT-175.

SO