[AT] Permatex Ultra Black

Mike M meulenms at gmx.com
Sun Apr 19 21:01:47 PDT 2020

This could be old tractor related, so I don't feel bad. I have a Scag
zero turn with a Kohler 7000 series engine. After a whopping 200 hrs the
valve cover gaskets started to leak. There is an upgrade kit, as this is
a known issue, that is composite and uses O-rings vs stamped steel and a
gasket. I'm going to try some Permatex Ultra Black RTV on them as the
upgraded versions cost about 100 bucks all told. I've read where I
should tighten the screws loosely just enough to make the gasket maker
start to ooze out, then wait an hour and torque them down, in this case
44-66 in/lbs. According to Permatex's site it says to tighten them right
down.

*"Apply a continuous and even bead of silicone to one surface,
surrounding all bolt holes. Remove excess with knife at once. Assemble
parts immediately. Do not squeeze out silicone by over tightening bolts.
Re-torque will not be necessary."**
*
Says nothing about torquing them in the first place, just not to over
tighten, kind of ambiguous. Has anyone used this stuff, and if so what
method did you use?

Thanks,
Mike M