[AT] Agricultural Equipment Diagnostic Technicians

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Sep 15 13:17:02 PDT 2019

I got it..
Cecil
Mike, you have reiterated what I said a few weeks back.  The schools do
not teach life skills anymore.   A couple of counties over East a school
district had a Mom whose kids wanted a 4H club.  They convinced the
Superintendent to allow them to have a 4H club.  The first  meeting to
determine interest they expected maybe 8 to 10 kids.  They had 35.  Now
the club has 55 regular members.  $H is not just agriculture, and
raising calves or sheep, it teaches those kids life skills in a group
situation..   After raising sheep in addition to cattle for the last 20
years, I firmly believe if a kid can raise a lamb to show in a ring,
they can work with nearly anyone!   I also believe if all kids had to
care for a couple of bottle baby lambs and raise them, they would be
much better parents later on...

The old high school shop classes both wood and metal and auto gave the
students a chance to see if they wanted to do something besides sit
behind a desk.   I was on a construction site with carpenters from as
soon as I was out of diapers until I started school.  Then in the
summers I was back on the site.  My Uncle was an ex Seabee and a
carpenter.  My Dad worked as a carpenter while he went to college after
I was born and my mother worked.  When I was 13, I started working in a
tractor shop about a mile away from home.  I rode my Bike there.  I was
in auto shop in high school. If my folks had not threatened to throw me
out, I would have gone through diesel school at OSU tech in Okmulgee,
and majored in diesel injection.  I really believe I would have had my
own shop...   I still remember my mothers words "You just want to be an
old grease monkey!"

Just my $0.02

Cecil