[AT] Ford 1520 and tractors a ramble..

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Sep 11 19:28:47 PDT 2019

Ford has really made some bad decisions toward the heavy duty and
agricultural markets.  The Louisville line of Ford trucks were one of
the best heavy duty work trucks on the market.  Granted they had a
differing array of Engines transmissions rear ends and suspensions, but
the cab was good for over half a million miles in dump truck service.
There is a sand company here that used them exclusively for many years
and still pays a good price for good bodies and complete trucks.
The ag tractors were reliable once they got rid of the old select o
speed and went to a good power shift transmission.  The 4 cylinder
Genesis engine was reliable to 6000 hours without much maintenance.
Over that the valves would drop into a piston as I experienced.  The
early series of blue 5000 and up fords tractors were tall, but fairly
reliable.  Until the New Holland branding, their parts were more
affordable than others.  When Massey was still in business, Ford parts
were cheaper for the equivalent part.

Fords were much simpler than the Massey's.  Massey had 3 different
pressure systems in their hydraulics on the multi power tractors.   They
just got too complicated..   I have a White 2-105 and an Allis 7030 from
the mid 70's.  The Allis is so much simpler but has more transmission
ranges and a higher flow hydraulic system than the White and nearly 40
hp more, for nearly $20K less.   Both tractors were long gone by the mid
80's.   Some of the reasons were consolidation of farms, but
mismanagement probably had more to do with their demise.   The White was
really a re-badged Oliver with less weight.  I have both here on the
farm.  If I ever get time, they will both be running.  The White has
rear tires slipping on the rims, and the Oliver engine is stuck and the
clutch is out.  I did a lot of work on Moline and Oliver tractors in my
youth.  Moline took twice as long to work on as they always had a bolt
on the opposite side somewhere of whatever you were trying to remove.
Engine mountings especially.   To remove an engine mounted hydraulic
pump would require removing the timing cover to get to one bolt from the
timing cover side.   Transmissions were a bear to tear down and
rebuild.  The planetary reduction drive in the G-1000 series required
individual needle bearings in the planetary gears instead of Torrington
bearings.  You had to count the needles, similar to universal joints.
The rear ends were the same problem with the bolt from the back side....

Enough rambling.  I am worn out from sowing wheat.  Had to fill the
drill with a 40 inch bucket on the New Holland from the grain truck.
Hopefully the auger will be installed by next year.  I used the auger
wagon for the last 3 years, but it was a pain to fill.  The truck solved
that problem, but the auger was not installed this summer as planned.
The never ending spring and now the never ending summer has really put a
crimp in my work.  As soon as this round of showers get through here,
its hay cutting time..   The prairie hay has jumped nearly a foot in the
last 2 weeks....

It is good to have work....   Even better if you have the ability to do
it!!!

Cecil