[AT] now Construction & Other Equipment

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Sep 5 19:57:28 PDT 2019

Thanks Herb.  The Allis equipment I have has now been sitting for so
long since the Fiat buyout, I don't think I have enough years left to
get them running even If I have the money.  This is the reason I am so
irritated at all these manufacturers.  Back when I had the ability and
energy to work on and with the equipment I acquired, I quickly ran out
of money due to the high cost of their parts.  This was prior to the
internet.  We had the phone and a list of contacts.  Now that the
aftermarket is available on the internet, more affordable parts are
available, but mostly for Deere and Cat.  A used Fiat Allis dozer about
the size of my D6D came available on a government bid last year.  It had
a torque convertor problem.  I researched the availability of rebuilt
convertors and found that it would cost over $5000 for the convertor.
$1500 will get either a rebullt Cat convertor or an aftermarket new
one...  The Dozer went for about $12000, add another $5000 for convertor
and then $2500 for labor and my Cat D6D at $26K looks better every day.

The same thing has happened with IHC construction.  The Dresser
industries buyout created a real mess.  I really liked the old TD series
dozers and IHC had some good construction equipment, mismanagement of
the company created the problems and they sold out.   I don't like a lot
of the things that Cat management has done, but they have stayed in
business and parts for most any old one can be had at a reasonable
cost.  Cat equipment costs more, but they last longer and many times use
less fuel than other equivalent machines.  There are a lot of old D6
dozers still running in other countries.  I would still be using my old
D6, but I needed more power in the red clay where I live.  The cab also
is a big plus.  Next year I plan on hooking a big subsoiler behind the
D6D and ripping the old plow pan on the wheat field.  I need to get the
water to penetrate.

A friend of mine has  a sand pit and moves a lot of material every day.
His dad started using Komatsu excavators until after 10K hours he had to
overhaul the engine.  It was done at the dealership but never ran right
and used more fuel than before the overhaul.  He traded for a Deere
excavator.  They ran the Deere for 4 years and traded up to a 2017
Deere.  In June, he traded to a Cat it was more purchase cost, but it
uses 20 gallons of fuel less daily.  That is not a lot of savings, but
over time it adds up...  Filters and maintenance items are cheaper too.

My contractor friend who hauled my D6 to trade for the 112 grader has
only Cat machines.  He has 50 years of dirt work experience in western
OK and probably moves over 3 million cubic yards a year. I am grateful
to him for convincing me to stick with Cat...  Sort of like the reason I
stick with the Belarus tractors..  They cost me less....

Cecil