[AT] New Toy

Tyler Juranek tylerpolkaman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 18:54:33 PDT 2019

Hi all,
It has been awhile since I have posted on here, although I have been
meaning to post this for quite awhile.
Everybody on the list here knows me as an Oliver guy for the most
part, although I still do have my John Deere A also.
Anyway, I have enjoyed my oliver 88 forever, going on many long rides
with it, etc. This last June, my ear doctor put me in ear muffs to
further protect my hearing while on the tractors, etc. (I do have a
hearing loss).
Anyway, after the tractor ride in June, I knew that I had to find
another tractor to go with. My 88 ended up being ok. Don't know what
the deal was with it.
Anyway, I wanted to find another Oliver, but a much much quieter one.
My tractor ride to raise money for eye research was held again this
year in August. So here we were in June, and here I was, knowing that
I probably should think about retiring the 88, and needing to find
another something to go on the ride with.

My father and I searched and searched. We found several 770's, but
none of them were very close...

My father knows an auctioneer in eastern Iowa. If someone is looking
for something, and we can't find it down here, he calls this guy. Low
and behold...
The auctioneer knew of a gentleman who had a beautiful restored 1958
Oliver 770 diesel.
He sent my father some pictures. Pictures don't mean anything to me,
so I had to ask him to send me a video of it.
When I heard it run, I knew I had to have it! So I went ahead and bought it.
The guy even took it to an antique tractor pull for me to make sure it was ok.
Two weeks before my birthday, (August 1), and my "Ride Into Sight"
tractor ride, it came here on a semi.
A neighbor guy came and helped me unload it off of the truck. When I
turned the key on, it had 6 hours on the overhaul. Everything works on
it, including the tach, pre-heater and lights. It does not have power
steering, (didn't want it due to my visual impairment), and it also
has an aftermarket 3 Pt.
I had my buddy seat on it a week before my ride, and I drove the route
with it the Saturday beforehand.
It ran great the entire way!

Each year for my birthday since I turned 16, I drive a tractor to a
little town called McClelland, about 12 miles from here on the back
roads. There is a small mom and pop bar there with some fantastic
hamburgers and fries, and most everybody knows you on a first-name
basis when you walk in. I used to go for lunch, but now that I am
working in the daytime, I go there for supper instead. These days, a
bunch of my family from all over the metro area come and meet me. They
were all shocked when I drove up on a beautifully running 770.
We all had such a good time and good visit that night, that it was
9:20 when I pulled out of McClelland this year, well after dark. I
turned the lights on and off I went.
In previous years, I had to hurry up and eat, and rush home to get
home before dark, as my 88 never had any working lights, and the JD A
never had lights to begin with.
I drove it on my ride this year, and also took it to a tractor show
two weekends ago. It dynode at 40 HP on the PTO. Don't know if that is
good or not, as it says on tractor data that they claimed it had 46.
I cannot find the "test results" for the PTO.
Anyone know?
Since I will never need to buy a car, I call the 770 my Cadillac.

The 88 sells tomorrow on Auction Time:
https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/farm-equipment/auctions/online/99908397/1949-oliver-88?lot=7554&lnds=1
and I am looking forward to more great times with the 770 now. It has
a full tank of diesel in it, just waiting to be used... :)
Just thought I would share. I will post pictures sometime when I have
it out again.
Take Care,
Tyler Juranek
IA