[AT] Statistics In Tractor Manufacturing Was Bicycle Program

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 14 08:26:58 PDT 2019

Some years ago I did participate in an academic Statistical Quality Control course. Much of the course involved the Weibull Distribution. If I remember correctly, the Weibull Curve predicted the lifespan of a manufactured assembly such as a tractor.  It appears to be a gift from the mathematicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weibull_distribution

The same distribution probably predicts that Cecil’s New Holland money pit will continue to be so and will suffer an early demise.

[Stephen Offiler] I never took a whole semester of Statistics.  Instead, we had a course called Engineering Experimentation, which was heavy on experiment design and statistical data analysis.  That gave me a very good appreciation for the practical application of statistics.   Out in the real world, on-the-job training programs in quality control principles in manufacturing (Deming, Juran, Lean Six Sigma) continued to solidify the practical applications.

[Cecil Bearden] Steve: I nearly flunked statistics I only passed because I was a graduating senior.  However, I did flunk Rocks & Clods 2124 and had to find another 4 hours to graduate.   Then 35 years later I retire as a Geotechnical engineer designing foundations. !!!

[Stephen Offiler] I'm not sure if that is an interesting statistic, or simply predictable statistically.  All you just said is that a bell-curve distribution for 2-year degrees overlaps a bell-curve distribution for 4-year degrees.

[ James Peck] The interesting statistic is that some technical 2 year programs have higher starting incomes than many 4 year degree programs. People who complete such a program can later take a 2+2 program to get a four year degree if they choose.