[AT] Critique of TSC was Antique tractors anyone?

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Oct 20 02:50:45 PDT 2019

szabelski at wildblue.net wrote:
> Purchased quite a few things from them, and the freebies are a nice
> thing along with the 20% off coupons.  I’ve collected a lot of their
> flashlights, screw driver sets, etc and give them to friends and
> family. All my kids have a small assortment of tools to carry around
> in their cars in case of emergency.
>
> If you’re into wood working, their mortise drill set is great, good
> clean holes with no tear out.
>
> Their 4” angle grinder is also good and they always seem to have
> their grinding wheels on sale. I’ve taken the guard off and used
> their 4-1/2” grinding wheels and flap disks on it as well.
>
> I’ve only broken one of their impact sockets (was in a hurry and used
> it with a breaker bar). They replaced it no questions asked.
>
> Their auto dimming welding helmet is great. All you have to do is set
> it for wire or stick welding, and for the ampacity rating of the
> welder. I bought the plain Jane version, no fancy flames or such.
>
> Won’ t go into everything I’ve gotten from them, but I’m pretty happy
> with most of it.

HFT is no different than many tool places, some tools are good stuff,
some are junk. I've bought top line Snap-On tools and snapped them like
plastic. The biggest thing with the tool trucks is that they come to me
and do have tools that you cannot get elsewhere.

I know a couple folks who are testing the Ikon tools. So far there are a
few minor things but overall they are really good. I've bought a bunch
of stuff there and tested it as review material. I also know folks who
are beating the snot out of the earthquake impacts daily and haven't had
any real issues.

My biggest gripe with them is and has been that getting replacement
parts can be almost impossible, especially once the tools age. Most of
that is because they change suppliers and designs a lot. My SOP now is
to beat the snot out of a tool, if it holds up and I might need parts
I'll buy 2 more. One is stripped down and I try to find alternate parts
sources. The other gets upgrades like better/larger bearings or
polishing of internal parts.

--
Steve W.