[AT] Bringing tractor production to the USA

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 19 07:52:54 PDT 2019

Sounds like Cat needs a user group like exists for many vehicles.

I recently was pointed out a unibody Jeep that had an engine failure. There was no low oil pressure dash indicator. Low oil pressure simply turned on the Check Engine light. I was also told the engine model was prone to oil pump failure.

[ Mark Johnson Resident Cynic] But don't let that secret out - that it could have been diagnosed by smartphone and the sensor might well have been a user-replaceable item. [If it wasn't, it's because they designed it not to be easy to change out...]

[ Cecil Bearden] There was not enough profit in Ag equipment for Cat.   The new Cat is  not your fat her's Cat!!!!    To paraphrase an old Oldsmobile  advertisement....   My contractor friend is working on a project SW of  OKC about 70 miles.   It is literally in the middle of nowhere...   A 325 Cat track hoe was throwing an engine code.   The machine has only 270 hours on it, but is out of warranty.  They had to call Cat to  repair it.  Cat serviceman spends about 2 hours on the machine and  replaces a $100 sensor. Service time cost was $200, travel cost was $400 !!!!  This one of those that can diagnose and transmit the  problem via smartphone..

 My old E110B  just has a very annoying buzzer that I push a button to  silence.......

[James]  Cat sold the whole ag equipment product line.

 https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1008629432213684440

 [ Carl Gogol] I had thought that Agco had built challenger for Cat-  could be wrong.

 [James] When Agco bought the Challenger brand from Caterpillar, they  expanded the plant in Jackson and moved tracked Challenger production  there. Assembling the wheeled tractors at Jackson required another  plant expansion.

 [ Jason] Most manufacturing plants are located these days where the  largest market for those exists. From there they are shipped around  the world. Large frame tractors are built in the US for Deere, CaseIH  and New Holland.  It makes sense for Agco do to the same.