[AT] full face respirators

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Sun Oct 13 09:46:29 PDT 2019

The best way to control overspray is to have an air exchange system that changes the room air about three times a minute. So the smaller the paint room, the easier it is to set up an air exchange system. You can hang plastic on wood frames and make as small as a room as possible, no larger than what is necessary.

Painting a tractor by doing individual parts one at a time is an easier way to get it done. You don’t need a large room the size of you garage.

When we used to paint an Abrams, we’d remove all the appurtenances, side skirts, racks, tracks and road wheels, turbine, etc, and then we’d separate the turret from the chassis. The chassis got painted separately from the turret, and then everything that was removed was hung on racks and painted. Took three paint booths if we needed to get it done in one day. We also had to cover all exposed interior surfaces so that nothing got sprayed on the interior components and seals. After reassembly we would do touch-up on anything that got nicked or scratched during reassembly.

Our paint booth were about 50’ x 30’ and were about 30’ high. All the walls, except the front wall with the door, had 2’ filters full length. They would be changed out about every second painting to ensure we had sufficient air flow. When the air exchange system was running, the roll down doors would rattle, and it was difficult to open the entrance door due to the lower pressure inside the booth. Painters wore full suits with helmets and a full face filter mask under it. The roll down door weren’t opened until the air exchange system had been run for a while. The paint booths were cleaned regularly to remove over spray dust from the walls, ceiling, floor, and anything else that was in the booth.