[AT] Fuel Issue

szabelski at wildblue.net szabelski at wildblue.net
Sat Oct 12 06:44:01 PDT 2019

It’s hard to believe that you can get algae to grow in a fuel system, but it can. After all, the fuel started out it’s life as some sort of vegetation.

There are several product today that are designed for killing algae and fungus that you can use to clean your fuel tank. Just shop around and find one that you feel comfortable with using.

One possible solution is to use hydrochloride acid rinse (1:10 solution). One draw back here is that the acid solution can cause rusting on the inside of the tank, so you have to make sure that you rinse the inside of the tank thoroughly. Then you’ll want to apply a coating to the inside of the tank to seal it.

Whatever you do, replace all the rubber hoses in the fuel system. The algae may be growing on the internal surfaces of any rubber component due to it’s porous surface. This may be were the algae originated from.

Good luck.