[AT] IH Check row corn planter

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 15:21:15 PDT 2019

Couple of nice looking Super A's, both of them.
About the check wire... I have used similar cables when planting seed corn
research plots but instead of putting hills 42" apart we were aligning
small test plots. A plot was 2 rows wide (we were planting 4 rows at a
time) and generally 20' long with about 3' gaps between them at the ends.
Our cables were cable not wire and the trips were a white nylon ball about
the size of a penny. They were each between a pair of crimped sleeves.
Having said that I have no experience at all with the hill drop planters
like you are talking about beyond seeing them in the fields and later as
displays. My father had used them in the 1930's but that was long before my
time. Before 2-4-D they were life savers for farmers especially if rains
kept them from cultivating when the weeds were small.
Based on the search I did in the link below there was a wide variety of
knots and wire available. I was looking for a new wire supplier but didn't
find any. The stuff we used in research was made  by specialty vendors for
seed corn research. Most researchers I ever talked to all did it pretty
much the same way. Maybe if you talk to a mid-sized seed producer and
explain why you want the wire they might be able to help.
Can you imagine how many rolls of check wire was probably scrapped for war
time production...
https://www.google.com/search?q=check+row+corn+planter+wire&client=ubuntu&hs=Say&channel=fs&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO04z6jYvlAhWOtp4KHZj6BG4Q_AUIkAEoAQ&biw=982&bih=483#imgrc=_

.

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 2:16 PM Al Jones <farmallsupera1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in the process of purchasing a two row check corn planter for a
> Farmall Super A.  The planter is complete, except it's missing the check
> wire and spool, as well as the stakes you used to secure the wire at the
> ends of the field.
>
> How hard is it to find check wire/spools?  Was IH wire different from JD
> wire and different from AC wire?  I don't know a thing about checking corn
> other than what I've seen on the internet.  I've attached a photo from the
> McCormick-International Archives.  It shows a narrow, smallish wire spool.
> Looks like there was at least one more style.  I'm wondering if the
> spool/wire was a universal part?
>
>   I'm pretty excited about it.  In the southeast most Super As--140s were
> one row tractors and though people did plant with them they usually used
> the belly mount IH planter or a Cole planter with a modified hitch to
> attach it to the drawbar (or later the Fast Hitch.)  A two row planter
> behind a Super A is going to arouse some questions here!!
>
> Also there's a pic of our local show at Mike's Farm in Beulaville from
> week before last.  The original Super A is probably the one that will get
> to wear it!
>
> Al

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"