[AT] IH Check row corn planter

Al Jones farmallsupera1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 11:15:51 PDT 2019

I'm in the process of purchasing a two row check corn planter for a Farmall
Super A.  The planter is complete, except it's missing the check wire and
spool, as well as the stakes you used to secure the wire at the ends of the
field.

How hard is it to find check wire/spools?  Was IH wire different from JD
wire and different from AC wire?  I don't know a thing about checking corn
other than what I've seen on the internet.  I've attached a photo from the
McCormick-International Archives.  It shows a narrow, smallish wire spool.
Looks like there was at least one more style.  I'm wondering if the
spool/wire was a universal part?

  I'm pretty excited about it.  In the southeast most Super As--140s were
one row tractors and though people did plant with them they usually used
the belly mount IH planter or a Cole planter with a modified hitch to
attach it to the drawbar (or later the Fast Hitch.)  A two row planter
behind a Super A is going to arouse some questions here!!

Also there's a pic of our local show at Mike's Farm in Beulaville from week
before last.  The original Super A is probably the one that will get to
wear it!

Al