[AT] Antique tractors anyone?

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 07:36:32 PDT 2019

That's most likely a clutch issue.  The friction surfaces themselves might
be dragging a bit, or it could be pilot bushing/bearing.  Somehow, a little
bit of power is getting thru the clutch just enough to keep the input shaft
moving, hence the gear grind.

I had a bad gear-grinding problem on my JD440IC, and on top of that, it
also slipped and it was degrading rapidly to the point the machine was
unusable.  No question it was time to open it up, since I do use it
occasionally, and of course I was in the middle of a project.  I found the
bellhousing pretty well stuffed with mouse nests, some apparently made of
old rags, which were all wrapped around the entire clutch, throwout
bearing, the whole works.  Since the pilot bearing seemed pretty good, it's
possible that all that material was causing it to drag, and thus the gear
grind.  Maybe.  New clutch and all is well.

SO