[AT] Sandblasting

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 13 07:40:57 PDT 2019

This Eastwood model does have a nozzle deadman.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-50lb-pressure-abrasive-blaster.html

They are recommending ground glass as the abrasive of choice.
I used to use 3/32 inch ID nozzles with a 4 HP compressor. This one has metric nozzles. 2MM is a little smaller.

 [James Peck] This commercial model mentions that OSHA requires a deadman type arrangement to stop blasting if the operator loses control. That explains why the low end has been abandoned to the imports that do not meet the standard.

http://www.clemcoindustries.com/products_showitem_clemco.php?item_id=00908

This link shows a slightly higher pressure in the tank than in the air going past the tee in the bottoms.

https://www.idsblast.com/images/AdminProducts/Manual/SODA%20STORM%20Manual.pdf

Compare this US made blaster to the 40 pound Harbor Freight model. The Texas blaster uses a Wye rather than a Tee to merge the air stream to the sand bearing stream. See the photo of the bottom.

https://texasblaster.com/product/blaster-unit-ultimate/
https://texasblaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/TB_xplode-wNHA_logo.pdf

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-lbs-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68992.html

The sand blaster I bought from a local welding supply place 40 plus years ago did not have any label or manufacturer info on it. I believe it did have an ASME pressure vessel stamp.

https://www.asme.org/shop/certification-accreditation/boiler-and-pressure-vessel-certification

I used to wish that I had bought the blaster from TIP as they seemed to offer a lot of sandblasting knowledge. TIP has renamed themselves and scaled back their small blaster offerings. Harbor Freight may now dominate the small blaster market.

https://www.tptools.com/

I wonder if Chinese imports have taken over the small abrasive blaster market. I wonder if any of them have a pressure vessel stamp?

.