[AT] FW: towing tractors with a pickup

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 12 20:03:04 PDT 2019

Knowing that section of the vehicle code saved you getting a ticket and possibly being found guilty in court. How did you come to study that?

Are the access ramps on the interstates more than 25 miles apart?

[ Grant Brians] James, in California (not exactly the least urban state) there is a very specific section of the vehicle code that covers this and eliminates the tickets unnecessarily being written - it is called "Implements of Husbandry". The requirement is that the trailer or other farm machinery being transported on a road must have a SMV placard facing rearward. With this proviso, tractors, harvesters, trailers, tillage implements, farm trailers, etc. can be moved on the road and normal width and other limitations are almost all waived. Longtime members of the list will remember my story of towing the 15' 10" wide Mower-conditioner I bought back in 1982 being towed on US101 and the clueless CHP officers who had to call SACRAMENTO to confirm what was in the vehicle code. It was pretty hilarious to listen to the radio traffic that took place for them to learn what they should have learned before entering a car.
     I will note that since the section was written, in the 1990's there was a limitation added - no more than 25 miles at a time on an Interstate highway.