[AT] Right to repair

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 08:32:26 PST 2019

The 2005 Chrysler Town & Country I bought several years ago from an
individual ran and drove great but then went into "limp" mode on the
transmission. I did some studying and decided that it was the input speed
sensor. I bought a new one and put it in. Zip, no change. OK, I was wrong.
I took it to a busy mechanic friend and told him the things I had checked
and about the new speed sensor not helping. I've known him since he first
started and have used him for electronics problems a number of times. He is
one of the good guys, always treated me well and while he is not free  :-)
he has always been fair. (He has retired now dang it. His son-in-law took
over and I won't take anything to him.)  Anywho...  He called a bit later
and he found that the new speed sensor was defective... He changed it and
charged me but it was reasonable. No other problems. I had about strained
my brain looking at stuff... I had even done a fluid and filter change just
to get in there to look at stuff. It has done well in the years since. We
have traveled in it quite a bit.

.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 8:38 PM Steve W. <swilliams268 at frontier.com> wrote:

> Howard Pletcher wrote:
> > If you don't have a scanner, you can reset many of the lights by
> > disconnecting the battery for a moment, quicker than waiting 30 cycles
> > to see if you fixed the problem.
> >
> > Howard
> >

> You REALLY don't want to do this on anything newer than 2013 or so.
> It works on the older vehicles but on many newer ones it will cause
> multiple issues depending on the make. Everything from minor relearns of
> radio and idle control to a complete shut down of the vehicle that
> requires a dealership to unlock and reflash components.
>
> It is a much better thing to use a scan tool and figure out what the
> issue is then go from there.
>
> Another thing on any vehicle newer than 2017 is that they now have
> security gateways in most of them which will prevent access with scan
> tools that are not OEM approved. This can make it really hard to access
> them.
>
> Oh and if you decide to add a programmer or power chip on many of the
> new vehicles, hope you are prepared to give up the warranty and likely
> end up with a dead vehicle as well. The gateway mentioned above can be
> set up to put the engine and transmission into limp mode if it detects
> tampering with the PCM programming.
>
> --
> Steve W.

Francis Robinson