[AT] Right to repair

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Tue Nov 26 22:10:50 PST 2019

> The point of all this is that the weak link in the newer vehicles is
> the electronics. They apparently do not understand "worst case design".
>
> Phil in TX

Amen. Recently got a call for help from my neighbor that his 2007 New
Holland 4WD diesel tractor was dead. A 5-amp fuse would continually
blow, even with the key switch off.

He and his BIL had done some basic testing with no luck.  As his wife
quipped, now THREE idiots will be working on the problem instead of two!

Luckily the owner's manual had a wiring diagram.  I methodically started
at square one, battery condition.  Then grounds and connectors, safety
switches, relays, the key switch, etc.  Checked glow plug bus and fuel
shutoff coil for any shorts to ground.  Finally the problem narrowed
down to a plug-in module termed the "Safety Controller".  With it
unplugged, the fuse was fine.  When plugged in, the fuse immediately
blew.  Encapsulated black box, no clue what it contained so way to test
for an internal short.

Since a new module was over $300 from the NH dealer and not returnable
(electrical component), all three of us agreed it would be wisest to
trailer the tractor into the dealer to have them double check our
diagnosis.  We guessed under an hour of mechanic's labor to confirm our
diagnosis and plug in a new controller.  That way the job would be
warrantied.  My neighbor related to the service manager all the
troubleshooting tests we'd done and how the problem seemed to be the
controller.

Two weeks later, my neighbor trailered his tractor back home along with
a bill for just under $1,000.  $325 of it was for a new controller, the
remainder labor for mechanic's "testing".  ????  My neighbor bluntly
asked the service department manager if we'd just bought a new
controller and plugged it in ourselves if that would have fixed the
problem.  After some hemming and hawing, the manager's answer was yes.

A daisy chain of safety switches, plus maybe one relay, would accomplish
the same end result as that "Safety Controller" module.  Basically the
engine won't start if you've done something dumb like leave it in gear
or with the PTO engaged.  Like how '50's to 70's era tractors were
sensibly designed.

- Richard in OR