[AT] Right to repair

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Nov 26 19:30:09 PST 2019

The most expensive production tractor is the Fendt.  It has more
electronics than a new Cadillac.  The wiring harness is in a metal
conduit and is a nightmare for the mechanic as far as I am concerned.
I don't think they have been here in the US long enough to have a lot of
electrical failures, but they will.  Their draft sensors are electronic,
and the transmission is electronic.   My MTZ/Belarus was delivered with
one of the 2 batteries dead because whoever loaded it on the trailer did
not push the switch that disconnects the batteries and ran it down. This
was the battery that is charged by the electronic voltage increaser.
The neutral safety switch had disconnected from the end of the
transmission shaft on the trip here so it would not start by jumping.  I
got fed up with it and pulled it to start. The dead battery pulled so
much current to charge that the increaser burned out.  I did not find
out until the first snowfall in late February 2 months later.   The
warranty is up Jan 1,2020 and I have a 24V alternator to rewire it
with.  I only have to change 2 wires to make it work.  I had a
discussion with the engineer in Ukraine, but he missed my point.  They
now have an "upgrade" that involves changing out the glow plugs to 12V
and re-wiring the system for 12V instead of 12V run and 24V start.  I
tried to make them understand that the 12V accessories would run just
fine off the grounded battery and the auxiliary battery would only be
used to start and heat the glow plugs as it does now...  I guess
something was lost in the translation...
I have one of those Fords, a 2003 F-350, it had a bad PCM.  about 8
years ago, It quit running right, and we installed a new rebuilt PCM
from O'reillys but they had to have the serial number to flash the chip..

IMHO the best pickups GM built were the 73-85 models.  They still had
cables to control the Ac vents, and simple controls.  I got a newer
pickup last year, a 2011 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4x4, it has a lot of extras.
My biggest objection is thhe same as I have with all the new pickups.
They are as tall as my 2ton Grain truck if not taller!!  What is the
deal with all these trucks that require a step ladder to get into the
cab or bed??    Now we use a Polaris Ranger where we used to use a
pickup....
just a ramble
Cecil