[AT] OT war on poison ivy

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 23 06:56:07 PST 2019

This poison ivy soap has jewelweed to treat the itch of the rash.

https://www.my-soaps.com/product-page/poison-ivy-soap

You want to scrub the urushiol oil off your skin before you develop the poison ivy rash. Chuck is not talking about using mineral spirits to treat the rash.

Steve Offiler AT List member Mechanical Engineer <soffiler at gmail.com>; Like Chuck Saunders, I too have realized the active ingredient in Tecnu is mineral spirits.  And I have tried using mineral spirits from the workshop on poison ivy.  I learned the hard way that Tecnu has some other ingredients that make it easier on the skin.  My experiment with straight mineral spirits caused additional inflammation and made the PI discomfort worse.  I might just have sensitive skin... while I use mineral spirits routinely at home and work for cleaning/degreasing, I always wear nitrile gloves.

James AT List Member and advocate of upgradeable tractor vocational training <jamesgpeck at hotmail.com>; Do you use a spray bottle to squirt the mineral spirits on the area you want to clean, then scrub? Is there any additional info I would need to buy the mineral spirits?

Chuck Saunders AT List Member <mailto:gooberdog at gmail.com>; My son is very reactive to poison ivy. He demanded we buy some lye soap when the woman running the pioneer soap booth claimed its ability to clean up after poison ivy. We had Tecnu wash in stock in the house at all times. One time I brought in the gallon jug of mineral spirits and told him to use it as it was the same thing. His look that said "Dad, you are the stupidest human on earth, that is not the same thing". True I wouldn't pay the $300/gal for mineral spirits that Tecnu would cost. But they both work at cutting the oil. <snip>