[AT] Honey Locust

Joe Hazewinkel jahaze at aol.com
Wed Nov 20 07:07:54 PST 2019

Autumn olive fixes nitrogen in its roots so it can grow well on really poor soils.  I’m infested with it here in central Michigan, can’t possibly spray it all so I try to mow twice a year.  Mowing just makes it mad and it really stump sprouts, but it’s easy to manage, doesn’t get big enough for thorns or fruit and makes me feel good to chop it up whenever I can.

As a licensed herbicide applicator, look for mixes that contain imazpyr they will nock back just about anything, it’s in many of the trade named sprays previously mentioned.

Enjoy, Joe

Sent via mobile device

Another telltale characteristic of Autumn Olive is the underside of the leaves. They are white/silver and show very well in a breeze. If you get too close, the thorns will have you backing up quickly. AO is good for quickly re-establishing vegetation on poor soils (strip-mined and the like) but once established, it is nearly impossible to get rid of.