[AT] Honey Locust

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Mon Nov 18 21:11:49 PST 2019

Listening to all these horror stories I am no longer feeling sorry for myself having to deal with BlackBerry Bushes.

When we first moved here, where we still live after 20 years, the place was infested with Blackberry plants. Some with stalks almost two inches in diameter and it was like cutting a steel rod.  Being very naïve about what was the best way to get rid of them I started cutting them out with a chain saw. Only to find out next year I had done nothing more than created 20 new plants. So I finally got smart and did my homework like I should have  done to begin with.   Black Berry plants are killed in the fall when the leaves are turning and the plant is drawing it nutrients back into the roots for the winter. So systemic fluid on the leaves does the trick.  It is called CrossBow and is so potent you need to register where you are going to use it upon purchase.   It works but to do a 100% job we mix Roundup in with it as well. That does the trick.    But this only works in the fall.   I wonder if this concoction would kill some of your wild growth. I can honestly say that I have less than 5 known blackberry plants in my acreage right now and most of them are encroaching from the neighbor’s lot. Try it it might work.

Dean VP

Snohomish, WA 98290