[AT] Knowing when to call it a day

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Nov 17 08:19:35 PST 2019

Mike M wrote “one thing in your post that gave me pause Dean, was that you mentioned you notched the tree at waist height.”   Mike, very good point about potential kickback and location of the saw relative to PPE.   I have not previously considered that exact issue and can’t say for sure how the height of the saw relates to height of my chaps when I take my normal stance for the initial cuts, but I’ll make a point of looking/thinking about it next time I’m out there.   I don’t remember why I set up the way I did on the tree described earlier, but there were no unusual circumstances forcing me into anything in particular so I’m sure I just took what felt like a good solid comfortable position.   Definitely worth giving it some thought, though.

Steve O wrote “Somewhere along the line I latched onto Terry Hale's videos on Youtube.”    Steve, thanks, those are indeed good, and I’ve added them to my “Chainsaw instruction” list.   Really appreciate his graphics and explanation of the dynamics, as well as the felling procedure information.    I also like this one from Husqvarna:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb2bQsqx44.    I’ve also watched some of the “chainsaw fail” videos, and (a) cringed at the stupid stuff people do and (b) sometimes thought “Dang, Dean, you fool, you’ve done that and were lucky enough to get away with it, but don’t ever do it again.”

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris, Ohio