[AT] Knowing when to call it a day

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Nov 16 12:10:47 PST 2019

Cecil wrote:  "I had not thought of taking the saw off the bar.  I will
store that in the fuzzy memory bank for future use..."  That was the one
bright spot for me of the whole experience, when I saw my chainsaw bar
impaled into the ground:  At least the saw itself hadn't been on the
receiving end of all that energy.   The bar took a beating but I had a spare
in the shop, so I was back in business today.

And "In the fireplace, the wood is so dense that a small pocket of moisture
in the wood can turn into an explosion."  Yep.  I burn a lot of it in my
wood stove where it's safely behind the doors, but even there I have to be
careful when opening the stove to feed in more wood or even when opening the
ash pan door. the sudden rush of air sometimes precipitates a frenzy of
sparks that shoot out all over the place.

I went back out and finished cutting up that tree today, without further
incident other than cursing the difficult nature of those trees in general.
I took the attached photo to show a particularly nasty section. it doesn't
all look like that, but a little bit is more than enough.

Dean Vinson

Saint Paris, Ohio