[AT] Oliver's decline was Nice Tractor Day

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Thu Nov 14 06:03:16 PST 2019

Allis Chalmers built a large fraction of the transformers used in residential electric distribution...the AC diamond logo used to be on almost every meter pole around. The Ag equipment was actually a very small fraction of the company's total revenue (less than 10% I think).

A cousin in Milwaukee worked his entire career for AC, mostly designing big pumps but also involved to some degree in water and steam turbines. IIRC, he retired about the time that AC was acquired - then passed away from cancer within a few weeks. Never told his co-workers just how sick he really was.

I took the Hoover Dam tour in about 1992 and remember those big generators and water turbines. [An aside: the tour guides were a hoot - ours introduced herself with "Hi! I'm Candy, and I'll be your damn guide today." When we left the tour I told her "I bet you've heard every damn joke there is about this place, including this one." She laughed out loud and nodded.

Tractor related: When I was on the farm we had a 190XT and a 210. We never pushed the 190 hard enough to have any problems with the drivetrain...didn't use it to pull a plow very much if at all. The 210 pulled a MF plow with 6 x 16" bottoms; its only flaw was that the radiator was slightly too small - in heavy southern Indiana clay, it would overheat in about 100 yards if operated at full rated RPM; we had to keep it backed down about 200-300 RPM - around 2000. The 8030 my dad bought later had the same base engine, about 30 more HP (more turbo boost?), and a much bigger radiator. It would pull that same plow at full rated speed all day long.

I kept trying to get my dad to invest in a custom built radiator with another row of tubes for the 210; he didn't want to mess with it.

Mark J
Columbia MO