[AT] Wheel Fell Off...

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Nov 9 19:09:37 PST 2019

I was moving old pieces of bales from the sheep pen to the cattle
today.  Cattle not near as picky about hay...  I had moved about 9
pieces nearly 1/2 mile the way I had to go, and spiked a new bale to
feed to the sheep. As I backed up turning, something felt funny and I
looked to see the left front wheel at a 45 degree angle to the ground.
Luckily the forks were about 8 inches up from the bottom of the bale so
I could raise the front axle easily.  The outer bearing had come apart
and the nut spun off the threads. This is one of those spindles that
uses a lock nut instead of  one with slots for a cotter key and also
does not have the washer with the little tab in the center.  I changed
the hubs and bearings about 5 years ago.  They had plenty of grease.
Carrying 2ea 1000 lb bales on the forks probably had something to do
with the failure...   Luckily it happened only 100 ft from the house and
a running ATV so I could go get tools.  We have 5 ATV's including a
Ranger, and only the ranger and 2 4-wheelers are running.  I spent 3
hours yesterday putting a carburetor on my Wife's Arcit cat 366 and it
would not start.  Dealer charged $250+ to rebuild the carb and it ran 30
minutes.

Cecil