[AT] Osages to maples

Spencer Yost spencer at rdfarms.com
Fri Nov 8 07:24:52 PST 2019

Antique tractor reference:    I hire one of those out every 3-5 years to hold Mother Nature at bay.   My guy operates it so well there are no stubs  pushing up out of the ground and I can bush hog behind him to maintain the area with my Ford with ratty tires and I have never had a problem. If this guys is leaving stubs that endanger tires he is not operating correctly. He should be cutting lower.

I was going to suggest this approach to Dean but he is having to much fun. (-:  In Dean’s case I don’t think he would’ve been to clear it all. It sounds like the mature Osage Orange would have been too big for him. but having only a few really big ones completely stripped up to about 12-15’ would have been a big help I’m sure.

My guy charges $1000 and for that price he brings an employee, a BIG forestry mulcher and a “mid range” excavator for stumps and to pull down trees he should not attack standing up.  He does not haul away the stumps for that.  He only puts in about 5 to 6 hours of seat time/machines moving in a day. But he can clear 2 to 5 acres in one day and that’s all I ever need.

In fact he can chew up just about anything but having him mess with anything more than 9-12” in diameter is inefficient.

I brought him to push mother nature back from the barn a bit last winter.  I also had him trim back the kudzu my neighbors won’t control and I have to keep from invading my property.  Here he is doing that.